The 12th edition of the ICC Cricket World Cup is going on in England and Wale right now. The world cups of cricket are ) always been the priority for all of the cricket playing nations and now a days they prepare for the world cup well in advance. ) The world cups have their own stories and facts so let us have a look on them.
Some Interesting Facts about Cricket World Cups
1) The 1987 World Cup was the first ever world cup which was held outside England.
2) The 1992 World Cup was the first ever world cup, where white balls were used and Day and Night games were played with colour clothings.
3) Because of the racial policy in South Africa, they could participate in the World Cup only in it’s 5th edition in 1992.
4) Chetan Sharma of India is the first bowler to claim a hat trick in a world cup (1987).
5) Australia is the only team which has won 5 world cups in which three world cup wins came in a row (1997, 2003, 2007& 2015).
6) Clive Lloyd and Ricky Ponting are the only captains who have won the world cup twice. Lloyd in 1975 and 1979 and Ponting in 2003 and 2007.
7) Sachin Tendulkar of India is the highest run getter in the World Cup history; he has scored 2, 278 runs in 6 world cups.
8) Shahid Afridi of Pakistan has a unique record of taking four wickets or more wickets in a match in four world cups.
9) Kepler Wessels became the first player to represent two countries in ODI history. He played for Australia from 1982 to 1985, before representing South Africa in 1991. Despite local outrage, Wessels was controversially named as South Africa’s captain for the 1992 World Cup.
10) Pakistan’s World Cup winning captain Imran Khan returned to international cricket in 1988 after announcing his retirement the previous year. It was at the request of the Pakistani President, General Zia-Ul-Haq, that the all-rounder represented the country again.